Oh Mane Mane

 I will open with a statement. I like Sadio Mane more than Mo Salah

Even until now. I like that fella. Even though the other scored so many goals for Liverpool all along the way. But, love is (mostly) blind. So yeah, I do love him no matter what.

The 2015/2016 was a turnaround for me as a Liverpool supporter. In some frustration, there was a man named Jurgen Klopp. The German Butcher I called him before because of how electric his football was and his ability to crack Munich domination. Little did I know, he would be a Liverpool manager after Rodgers was done. Little did I know, he was the one that brought this football club out of misery. It all started in the summer of 2017 when he brought Sadio Mane.

Honestly, I didn't know anything about him. All I knew was the club paid a good amount of money. My football knowledge was at an all-time low. I didn't care anything except for Liverpool, and to some extent, I lacked for it too.

But when that fella smacked a left-footed curve ball after cutting inside from Arsenal's left flank in the first match of the 2016/2017 Premier League season and made Liverpool lead four goals to one, I knew enough that he would be a legend for us.

That's why when everybody talked about Mo Salah in 2017, I was wondering when that monstrous season from Mane came.  He only scored four goals until 2017 ended. When Salah already had double-digit.

And when he showed up in the Burnley game in the new year, he scored that gorgeous turnaround left-footed goal. Gave us some relief moment to that ancient football from the Burnley side (thank god they relegated).  Then he followed up with another left-footed goal, against that shitty football club. To make sure they would not have any significant legacy whatsoever in this league.

Sadio Mane was also the only guy to score in every stage of that season's Champions League. All away to the final. The time I really wished he scored more than one on that final. Or in another part of that wish, Coutinho was still there and with him and Firmino, it would be enough to take down Real Madrid. But yeah, that was football. Sometimes, it was very cruel.

The good part was, the next season Mane was the golden boot winner. He was that lethal. Scoring with joy and fun. Backheel against Watford, that United goal, and the brace against Wolves to make sure the title race was on until the extra time of the 38th game of the season ended. In Madrid, he finally lifted the very first trophy for Liverpool, the Champions League.

He was far from done. He delivered us the Super Cup. With us win Club World Cup. That last-minute goal against Villa. 18 goals in Premier League, one short from Mo Salah, the most. And delivered us from the long waited, 30 years of misery, in front of an empty stadion because of the pandemic, yet still, we won the Premier League at last.

Even from that horrible 2020/2021 season, I was that happy to see Mane here. The arguably second-best player was still here, scoring goals, celebrating for fun, giving us all he got in his tank. 

That's why his situation was extremely difficult. He deserves to get paid. As much as Salah and Van Dijk. I don't know what FSG thinking but I really wish they don't give a shit about their moneyball stuff and give both of them the new contract and the raise they deserved.

Then again, football is cruel. Mane wants out. And I don't know how I gonna react when it really happens. The man who I loved instantly, will not be here at Anfield Stadium next season. Definitely gonna miss his goals, copying celebration, his vibes, everything. He is our big-game player trough and trough. And it will leave us with a big hole.

Sadio, thank you for everything. I will miss you. Good luck on your next journey.

You'll never walk alone.








Comments

Popular Posts